Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, February 13, 2012

Hey Diddle Diddle


 Last night, as I was finishing up washing dishes, I noticed we are getting low on spoons again. How does one get low on spoons? Well the proverbial sock eating dryer does not reside at my house. Oh no, we have the run-away spoons.  It seems that every so often, I have to make a trip to the store just to purchase more silverware. The pretty spoons that came with the set that I purchased when we bought our first house are long gone. I have remnants of forks and knives but alas the spoons have deserted us.  

“Hey diddle diddle,
The Cat and the fiddle,
The Cow jumped over the moon,
The little Dog laughed to see such sport,
To which the Dish ran away with the Spoon.”

I can’t help but think of the nursery rhyme Cat and the Fiddle and its dish running away with the spoon. There must be some old myths underlined with truth in this rhyme.  You see, our spoons are not the only wayward thing at our house. The bowls must have also seen what fun the spoons were having and they too up and leave.  Now, I could very easily be persuaded and sure that the spoon and bowls are left outside by 2 boys that also reside in my house. They could have been thrown away without a look back because a friend knocked on the door, but the nursery rhyme loving girl that resides in my heart likes much better to believe that the bowl and spoon have up and eloped. I am sure they are honeymooning on a beach somewhere. Enjoying the sun and the crash of waves, even though as the snow melts, I am likely to find them nestled under a bush next to my front porch, victims of a spur of the moment football game in the yard. 
Image from http://able2know.org/topic/138648-1


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, I can so relate to this! I spent years with a spoon shortage at my house. I bought spare spoons at Family Dollar and suffered through the "horror" of unmatched silverware for years. About 3 years ago I finally broke down and bought a nice, new set of silverware. I still count the pieces on occasion as I take them from the dishwasher to put them away. If one is missing, smoke begins coming out of my ears and loud screeching sounds emit from my mouth in Cheyenne's direction followed by under the bed, couch cushions, and computer desk searches. Until the missing piece is located, I remain in a deep, dark funk! Last I checked, I still have all pieces to my new set....which reminds me; time to do a new count! Have a great day, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Thanks Sherry. It's nice to know I'm not alone. That and I can expect the run away dishes to last for a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. When Zach was little, he was always accidentally tossing out spoons. Never forks, just spoons. Then he would also bring home spoons from my Mother-in-Laws house. Each time I returned them, they would appear in my dishwasher again. Eventually I figured out that as long as I kept the ones he brought home, they would almost balance out for the ones he threw away and since my MIL clearly had enough to compensate, I didn't feel guilty. Now that he is 18, I finally have a complete and matching set of utensils. (But I kept a few of the old spoons, just in case.)

    ReplyDelete