Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Football in the Yard
It is a whopping 6:30am and I have been up for about 45 minutes. Why you ask? Well, because my boys are heading out to rifle hunt with my father. My instructions were to have them ready so they could be in the woods by 6:30am. I did good lol. They are layered upon layered up. Thank goodness for Football season and all the cold weather gear, it came in handy for hunting season. I am not sure if everyone's lives revolve around seasons instead of months but that seems to be how we do it around here. It is a bittersweet moment for me, sending my boys out to hunt deer with my dad. I love and am so thankful that they get to spend that time with him. Memories with Grandparents can not ever be overrated. They are precious precious things. These moments will mark who my boys grow up to be, the kind of men they will be. I learned to shoot from my dad and his father, my grandpa. He was a Marine and a Police Officer in life. Shooting and shooting accurately  was a gift of his. My dad is a really good shot too. Weird things to think about at 6:30 in the morning, I know, but this post is mostly a Happy Thanksgiving and a bit of a reflection because by the end, I hope to list some things that I am thankful for.

My Grandma,  Cousin and Me
Any who, back from my tangent. It is Thanksgiving. My family is gathering at my house today for an early dinner. Turkey will be served at 3:00pm. Football will be watched. Kids will run around and probably knock over things. Laughter will be heard from my house. These moments warm my heart. I had the best family Thanksgivings growing up. Gathered all around my Aunt and Uncle's house. In those days 2 turkeys were served because there were so many of us. Kids everywhere. I am sad in the respect that I sure miss that time period. I miss the loved ones that we have lost, I miss the closeness of family, but I am happy to embark on having those traditions for my niece and nephews. I want them to remember Thanksgivings at my house being a great time. I want them to look back when they are celebrating Thanksgiving with their own families and remember all the laughter and love. Really, Love, is what I am most thankful for.

Goofy Group
I am thankful for my Children, they are the greatest gifts I have ever been bestowed. I am thankful for my Husband, in the most cheesey of movie lines, He completes me. I am thankful for my family, my Parents, my Brother and all the Aunts, Uncles and Counsins. You guys made my early life filled with laughter and love. It is those things that have shaped who I am and my ideals the most. I am thankful for my friends. I have some great ones. My friends I made in childhood and the ones I have met as adults, all are special to me. I appreciate you and your friendships in more ways than I can count. I am thankful for my pets. Sounds crazy right? But, to know me is to know that I love animals and I am thankful for the joy they bring me, they are my companions and protectors on nights my Husband works. 



Favorite pic of Grandpa.Hes hiding...
I am thankful for having had such wonderful Grandparents, both sides of the family. They may have had their flaws, but I could not tell. My grandmothers were strong women. Both of them. They had personalities and gumption to say the least. They hugged me when I cried, read to me, handmade me Halloween Costumes and 1 Grandma even let me ride up in the front seat of the car from Texas all the way to Michigan just because she knew I loved my Grandpa and wanted to sit next to him.  Grandfathers, what can I say that would equal my respect and love for them? Strength, loyalty, love, humor, I hope these are attributes others see in me, because I tried and try to be like my grandfathers and those were their attributes I remember most. Family patriarchs they were, and to say I miss them is an understatement.

My Parents with the Kids
Well folks, it is time for me to rescue my turkey from her/his 5 gallon bucket of brine. As a keeper of chickens, I am pretty sure my bird is a Tom... they tend to be larger and this whopper is 21 pounds of goodness. The turkey has been soaking overnight in a brine of apple cider, water, bay leaves, black peppercorns, thyme, all spice, 2 oranges quarters and squeezed, as well as a cup of kosher salt.  I will be giving him a good rinse in the sink to rinse away the extra salt. Have to have the turkey in the oven by 9:00am to be ready for our early dinner.

Maybe this post will be Thanksgiving part 1.... there are recipes to share from today...Yup, that just might be it.

Enjoy your day everyone
: )
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment