Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Retro Throwback of Tuna Noodle Casserole for #SundaySupper


Call me crazy, but I was so excited when I saw this theme come up for #SundaySupper. Retro recipes, it was my chance to bring back an old family favorite from my childhood. One that I could revamp and remake, to make it more my own. I am all about growing my own food and  using  fresh and local ingredients whenever possible, so  what an opportunity. Then I sat down and was overwhelmed with just wanting the processed version of my comfort food, to sample my childhood.

My mother got a part time job when we were younger and my father was left to make dinner 2 nights a week. Seems like lots of todays families right? What’s the big deal?  Well unlike today, we lived in a rural area and fast food was not as easy to get. My town did not get its first McDonalds until my senior year of high school. So, with fast food not an easy or fast option, my dad turned to his mother’s recipe box and Tuna Slop Night at our house was born. We never called the dish Tuna Noodle Casserole, as I later learned was its true name, it was always Tuna Slop and it was always accompanied by a tall glass of cold milk.



 
The ingredients are throwbacks all in their own. Here is the list of what you need:
Ritz Crackers
2 tablespoons of Butter, melted
1 large can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup
1 Cup of Milk
1 12oz package of Egg Noodles
1 can of tuna… I used albacore packed in water
1 cup of peas, I used peas that I had frozen from last summer
Salt and Pepper to taste

Hot out of the Oven
Preheat your oven to 350F. In a large pot, combine the Soup, Tuna, Peas and any salt and pepper you want to add. Myself, we do not add salt at all but lots of black pepper. Heat this until warm and mix thoroughly. Then in another pot, par boil your egg noodles. I combine all of these in a baking dish. Then crush the crackers and sprinkle them over the top of the dish. Finally, drizzle the melted butter over the top and set it into the oven to bake for around 20 minutes.  

Someone snuck in for a taste
This time, I am sharing a taste of my childhood, Tuna Slop. Next time, I may try to reconstruct it with homemade cream of mushroom soup, maybe even add in some sherry or dry white wine, but for now, I really enjoyed this #SundaySupper and its throwback theme. Be sure to check out all of what the #SundaySupper contributors have made.  There is sure to be another taste of childhood roaming through all these awesome recipes. 

Enjoy
: )


This Week’s Sunday Supper is all about “Retro Recipes.”  Those food memories that immediately take us back in time.   Some of us enjoyed them so much that we will never change the mom or grandma’s recipe.  Other’s were ready to reinvent and update their favorite Retro Recipe.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite Retro Food Memory with us!

Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
What fun to read the stories about the recipes! There’s lots of great food in the list. I admit I still make and enjoy many of them. Nice to see some updated versions too. Which one is your favorite?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.


Pin It

41 comments:

  1. Tuna Noodle casserole is my dad's favorite meal. I remember being surprised when he told me one day. "What? not steak, not red snapper?" He told me it's one of the meals he learned to cook when he was in the Air Force. It's a meal I serve a few times a month to my own family. Wow, all these retro recipes are bringing back the memories! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! My Husband said this is the only way he would eat tuna!! I have been meaning to make one of these! maybe for diner tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad made us this all of the time. Brings back such memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved Tuna Noodle Casserole growing up. And now I'm in the mood for it again - I think I'll have to make it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved tuna noodle casserole as a kid...but never knew it was tuna! I was really stubborn as a girl and said I didn't like tuna (probably because I smelled it when my mom made tuna fish sandwiches and I didn't enjoy it). But, tricky mom that I had...always called it chicken noodle casserole and I would eat it up like nobody's business, not knowing that the "chicken" was really tuna. It was not until a few years ago that my mom told me of her trickery. Haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone still loves this Shannon and we all have to make it once in a while! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that someone made this casserole. I adore the stuff. It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely one of the stereotypical retro foods! I think I'm in the minority of people who hated it though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love tuna casserole! My mom never made this that I can recall, but my BFF makes it all the time and brings us our own dish to bake, so we have it quite often here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who doesn't like tuna noodle casserole!! Then or now!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Perfect recipe for today, and what a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember tuna noodle casserole growing up! I no prefer it like a cold tuna macaroni salad! Hmmm...may have to make some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I am SO loving this theme. This is another one of those that takes me right back to my childhood, as my mom used to make this all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that so many peoples dads made this! It always reminds me of my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My grandmother loved to make this for her and I. I am going to have to try this recipe when no ones home. My daughter can't eat seafood
    :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. I bet you could make this into an individual portion size. Maybe in ramekins?

      Delete
  16. We don't have this often but I still like Tuna Noodle Casserole every blue moon. It's such a comfort food and perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can´t get more retro than this one. I love the ritz topping! Total comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot how much I love those Ritz crackers lol I have been eating them with peanut butter and nutella.

      Delete
  18. Yep. I remember this dish as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you everyone! It was such a flashback to childhood making this. I loved every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hated this dish as a child. Maybe my mind can be changed after all these years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember it as my favorite when I was little when it was for dinner once a week, but the nostalgia won out and I fell in love with this all over. Now, to try and revamp it to minimally processed. . .

      Delete
  21. I don't remember eating tuna casserole as a child but as an adult I came up with my own version only I made it with canned white chicken meat. My kids still love it and my oldest daughter makes it for her family now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken would be a great addition/substitution! I will have to give that one a try.

      Delete
  22. Drool...I love how casseroles featured so prominently in our childhoods. This looks so creamy and hearty. The crispy, buttery Ritz cracker topping is my favourite part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating unprocessed or as unprocessed as I can get... I forgot how much I love Ritz Crackers. (Sigh) Now I can't stop thinking of their buttery goodness.

      Delete
  23. Tuna slop? I like casserole better LOL We never grew up with tuna noodle casserole because my mom doesn't like seafood. She used chicken instead though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Yea, Slop doesn't have the same ring to it. Thats Dad's for ya. I love the idea of adding chicken. I am going to have to give that a try.

      Delete
  24. I love tuna casserole & your version of it looks so good and comforting ~ Bea @ galactosemia in PDX

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tuna Noodle is one of those dishes that both my husband and I had as kids and I still make my kids today....and they love it. I like that yours has a buttery Ritz topping -- that would probably be my favorite part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you only knew how many times I've had a similar tuna noodle casserole back in the day. I love your dad's name for it - tuna slop. It makes me giggle just to think about it with that name.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have to honest and fess up. I have never had tuna casserole in my life. Might have something to do with my Korean upbringing eating Korean food everyday but you sure are making me want to try it now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is a great idea to combine tuna with egg noodles. Will added in my trial list. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You know, I've never had this, but always wanted to try it! Gotta load up on my canned goods! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a processed food version lol. I have been tossing around the idea of trying to make it unprocessed... Hmmmmm

      Delete
  30. My mom never made this, maybe because she hates fish? I feel like I missed out!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My mom never made it either, and she packed tuna sandwiches for my lunch. I discovered it at either summer camp or high school, and it was love at first taste.

    ReplyDelete