Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Faux Ice Cream With Bananas for #SundaySupper



Last January, I began my blog as a way to work through the death of my Grandfather. For the last few years of his life, my life revolved around caring for him. After his death, I found myself with some time on my hands. Little did I know that those early jottings would become something that I love so much. I have come to really look forward to sharing things on my blog and interacting with my readers. Another little did I know fact was that joining Twitter would lead me to #SundaySupper. I have said it before and I will say it again, the mission to return families to the dinner table for quality time and wholesome meals is very dear to me. 

As 2012 came to an end and we welcome in 2013, in place of a resolution, I wanted to make a commitment. This year, I want to commit to replacing lots of processed foods in my family’s life with the unprocessed version. I had such an awakening when I took part in #Unprocessed October that I want to make it more of our family lifestyle. 

This weekend's #SundaySupper theme was Bucket List Foods. Is there something out there you have been really wanting to try? Something new that sparked your eye or an oldie but goodie with a new twist? Something that has been on my Bucket List of Dishes is Faux Ice Cream  made out of bananas. I had heard from friends following Weight Watchers that you could blend frozen bananas into an Ice Cream like dessert. I have added frozen banana into smoothies and they did have a smooth texture so why not try to make the faux ice cream. It is unprocessed and healthy plus I could use the blueberries I had put up last Fall. Win Win situation for me. 

   What you will need:
   A Blender or Food Processor or Dole's Yoanana Machine
   Ripe Bananas pre-frozen
   Milk … for thinning texture (I used 2%)
   Berries (Optional) frozen
   Chocolate Chips (Optional) frozen

Yes, that ingredient list is really it. It seems too simple to be true. Well, it is not. I placed 2 frozen bananas that I chopped into large chunks, in my food processor. I then added a handful of frozen blueberries and a sprinkling of chocolate chips that I had stuck in the freezer when I froze the bananas. Then you splash in milk and begin to blend. Use the milk sparingly to thin out the texture of the frozen goodies as you go. You can add lots to make a milkshake like end product or keep it thick. I stayed with the thicker side. I then used my ice cream scoop to scoop it out much like real ice cream. The 2 bananas made about 2 cups of faux ice cream so you may have to adjust the recipe depending on how many you are serving. 
 
Amazingly, this really is a lot like ice cream. I was completely surprised by how much like soft serve ice cream it really was. My boys even liked it and were completely fooled until I told them it was only bananas. Who knew?!  It is unprocessed as I want to get and a great low calorie healthy alternative to ice cream.

Be sure to check out the other Bucket List dishes that are being tried out and served up by other #SundaySupper contributors. They all look so good. I can’t wait to try them out. 

Enjoy,
:  )


Please, Join us this Sunday at 7 pm Eastern Time on Twitter as we share our bucket list recipes during our #SundaySupper chat. 
Sunday Supper Specialty Breads:
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
Are you ready to tackle your culinary bucket list? I’m one down and lots to go. Perhaps my next one will be a recipe in today’s event. They all look so good. Choices, choices…

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Pin It

39 comments:

  1. Thank you, Shannon, for sharing. 2013 may be the time for me to put the frozen bananas into the food processor and try my hand at faux ice cream.

    BTW I am touched by your words about your grandpa and wanting to take care of your family in the best ways possible. Bless you, Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This is definitely worth breaking out the food processor. I imagine lots of flavor variations to come.

      Delete
  2. I have heard about making faux ice cream with bananas, but have not tried it yet! Sounds scrumptious (and healthy) to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to try this ice cream! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really good and healthy. A must try at least once. lol Who knew?! Faux Ice Cream

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore faux ice cream and yours looks amazing. I just love the flavor combination here too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to try my faux banana ice cream with blueberries next time - I think that may be the perfect combo. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea for banana ice cream, I ´ve made it a few times, but adding berries is brilliant! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love banana soft serve! It's amazing and healthy!!! Love your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of faux banana ice cream. What a great recipe! A quick, nutritious ice cream in a jiffy. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh! I love this with berries. I've made faux-ice cream with frozen bananas, peanut butter and cocoa powder in my masticating juicer. If you've never tried it, it's a great combo!

    I also love your resolution for 2013. What a great thing to do for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have got to try this, so very cool. I always put my ripe bananas in the freezer for banana bread but this would be another great use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These looks o healthy & yummy, I will be making them ! Yummmmmm !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Id love to hear how everyone likes it and what flavors you try. Im thinking dark coco and coconut next.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are so happy you joined this group Shannon! Love this recipe and can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just love this group and its message. You all Rock!

      Delete
  15. I have been intrigued by those Yonana machines...the texture of this is a LOT like ice cream. For January calorie cutting, this is PERFECT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how much like ice cream it does turn out. The Yonana machine is probably an added bonus. lol Who doesn't love kitchen gadgets right?

      Delete
  16. Healthy ice cream? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so good, Shannon! I'm trying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been curious about this recipe, too! I love that you added some blueberries...DELISH! It's shocking how many additives are in grocery store ice cream...ick.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow... this looks great. Pinning! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We used to make this all the time in the summer, couldn't get cheaper or healthier! We didn't need the milk, just a spoonful of cocoa and a potato masher LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo a potato masher...Great Idea!! I cant wait to try this in the summer with all the fresh berries about.

      Delete
  21. Shannon, I am freaking blown away - I can't believe that luscious scoop of "ice cream" is really just frozen bananas! I am definitely making this asap. Homemade ice cream is on my bucket list but I've never gotten around to making it just cause I've been worried about how it'll turn out since I don't have an ice cream maker. Forget all that angst - I'm just going to use bananas. Thanks for enlightening me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it took me this long to try it! I have heard about this for forever it seems. It is so crazy what frozen bananas turn into! lol I made more tonight with Nutella and it was awesome. You have to let me know what you think.

      Delete
  22. When my daughter first started weaning my MIL introduced me to this and we love it. I used coconut milk and we fresh berries last year. Now I can't wait for summer again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read that coconut milk whips up nice too. I have to try that one. Thanks : )

      Delete
  23. I've read about this, and have heard that it works great! I'm going to HAVE to try it! Thanks for this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG, I love this!!!! I must try, wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Please do try it. It is so good! I made one with cinnamon and sugar last night. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Laura's suggestion of coconut milk sounds awesome. I'm not even a huge banana fan, but in frozen treats I am on board!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks delicious! I'm going to try to get my fussy little eaters to try it, I'll bet they love it!
    Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-16-hogwash-soaps.html


    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loving this quick and easy recipe! I will have to make soon! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ive heard of this ice cream! I would even add peanut butter (gasp!)

    ReplyDelete